Thursday, August 14, 2014

Book Review: Royally Lost by Angie Stanton

Release Date: May 6, 2014
Info about the author: Goodreads - Twitter - Website
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age group: YA
Pages: 336
Buy the book: Amazon

Description (from Goodreads):

Dragged on a family trip to Europe’s ancient cities, Becca wants nothing more than to go home. Trapped with her emotionally distant father, over-eager stepmother, and a brother who only wants to hook up with European hotties, Becca is miserable. That is until she meets Nikolai, a guy as mysterious as he is handsome. And she unknowingly finds herself with a runaway prince.

Nikolai has everything a guy could ask for-he's crown prince, heir to the throne, and girls adore him. But the one thing he doesn't have...is freedom. Staging a coup, he flees his kingdom and goes undercover on his own European tour.

When Nikolai and Becca meet, it’s their differences that draw them together. Sparks fly as they share a whirlwind of adventures, all the while dodging his royal guard. But Becca's family vacation ends in a matter of days. Will Nikolai and Becca be forced to say goodbye forever, will his destiny catch up to him, or will they change history forever?

MY THOUGHTS:




After reading some hard hitting and serious new adult contemporary, I was in the looks for some cute YA contemporary just to wind down a little bit. I picked Royally Lost because I used to love Prince and Me and The Princess Diaries while growing up, but oh man, when this is compared to those two, Prince and Me looks like Citizen Kane and The Princess Diaries like Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.

Sometimes, even if the events are predictable and cheesy, I can see past those if the characters are likable and ones I can connect with. Within the first pages of the novel, I realized that I could never like Becca. She is a privileged, whiny rich kid from America who has faced the horrible fate of traveling to Europe to tour some of the most significant historical sights in the WHOLE WORLD. She just keeps complaining about every single thing, and her hatred towards anything related to history just made my blood boil. She is annoyingly stereotypical American tourist who looks for the first McDonald's at wherever she goes. She knows nothing about the places she visits and she shows no interest in learning. And she seems to be proud about that. I get that not all American tourists are like that, but the fact that the author has decided to use this stereotype just made me SO ANGRY. I just kept constantly thinking "what if this protagonist would have been likable and actually interested in there awesome places so the author could have described them in more detail."

She keeps bumping into this hot guy, who happens to be a prince of this small European country, and eventually they start to hang out together. He describes her as beautiful and quirky, which is funny, because to a reader she only comes out as a complaining bitch. When he joins one of their tours and actually shows some historical knowledge, her reaction is "But you're not even from here! I don't know how you can remember the history of other countries. I can't tell you a thing about Canada other than that they play a lot of hockey there". At this point, I wanted to throw my Kindle to the wall. Seriously, how did this girl get to Northwestern to study law (here's another thing - she constantly complains about going to college which just drives me crazy because her rich daddy is willing to pay her tuition and she just complains and complains). She is judgmental, calling someone who actually cares about history "a freak" and just in general I can't just understand what this cultured guy sees in her.

So, when my hatred towards Becca was ignited, the remaining of the novel just made me cringe from one page to next. It is not cute - it is one of those super cheesy, "I want to vomit from the cheesiness" kind of reads that feel so unrealistic. Yes, the whole situation of a "normal" girl meeting a prince is pretty far fetched, but it could have been approached in so many different ways that this. They have know each other for like 3 days when they profess their love for each other, and by that point it feels pointless to even read on because you know that a book like this will end happily, and with a start like that, it would end in a way so cheesy that you just have a go and take a shower to wash away all that syrup. This is probably the worst case of instalove I've ever faced, and hey, I've read Twilight (and all those paranormal romances that were published after the popularity of Twilight).

Honestly, I have nothing good to say about this novel. Sometimes I justify not liking novels like this with the fact that I might be too old for them, but I can wholeheartedly say I would not have liked this, not even as a 14 year old. I am so proud of myself of just being able to finish with this one.

2 comments:

  1. Well I for one am glad I decided to pass on this book! Your review was very helpful in that it made me realize that I will more than likely completely hate this book. The rich, privileged main character that can do nothing but complain is bad enough, but when you add instalove to the mix I just know I would be ripping my eyes out by the end. So kudos for finishing it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy for the people that have decided to pass on this! Worst book I've read in a long, long time!
      Finishing this one is definitely one of my proudest reading moments for sure :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete