Thursday, June 26, 2014

Life of a Blogger (#1)

Life of a Blogger is a weekly feature hosted by Jessi from Novel Heartbeat. For each week, she has chosen a non-bookish topic which somehow related to the personal life of the blogger outside the world of reading and books. Life of a Blogger meme will take place every THURSDAY and there will be a link over at Jessi's blog for the entries. If you want to know more, please click here
If you frequently visit my blog and go through my Sunday Posts, you probably notice that I've been usually posting only on six days per week instead of seven. That is because I have found it work for me to post two reviews per week plus the meme posts I do weekly. And since I haven't really had a meme post for Thursday or Friday, I've just posted a review on one of those days and left the other day without a post. When I came across Life of A Blogger, which luckily is supposed to be posted every Thursday, I knew that I should give this a try - maybe I've finally found a good meme which will allow me to post something every day of the week.
So here is my first Life of a Blogger post - I hope you enjoy it and might also consider participating in this meme if you don't already do so.
June 26, 2014 - Favorite Sports Teams
This picture always brings a smile on my face. Crazy girls in love with the best sport out there. 
I think some of my excitement about finding this meme has something to do with this week's topic. Because oh my, if there is something I love equally as much as books, it is my sports teams. 
So I guess I should give you a some sort of background for my sports love. Well, first of all, I am from Finland and a lot of Finnish people LOVE ice-hockey. Like football for countries like Italy and Spain, ice-hockey seems to be the number 1 sport for us Finns. One of my earliest hockey memories is from 1995 when Finland won the hockey World Championship - I was banging on kettles and stuff, using them as drums, watching the game with my dad. Forward nine years later, and I am a hockey fanatic. I come from a city where there is a hockey team that plays in the national league. I went to a game once, and that was it. I had been to those games before, but it had always been with my family, and at that point I was in the age that I already wanted to do stuff without my parents. Soon enough, I found a group of amazing people from the games and we started to go to them together. I became a part of the fan community, one of the best fan communities I've ever been part of, and the team and the sport pretty much became my whole life for many years. We cried, we laughed, we sang and danced. We cheered for the team, for our friendships, for the experiences we gained there. That ice-hall will always be one of my favorite places in the world and I'm already counting for the first practice games that will take place in August so I can go and watch some hockey.
The name of my favorite team is Oulun Kärpät. It won it's first Finnish championship in 1981, after which the success of the team went kind of downhill. It was dropped away from the premiere league and it wasn't until 2000s that the team got back to the national league again and started to gain some success. It was year 2004 that it gained the Finnish Championship for the first time after 1981 (the 2004 championship is one of my best memories EVER). More success followed - the team won the championship in 2005, 2007, 2008 and once again earlier this year! 
Me (on the left) being an idiot with Jaakko Suomalainen (goaltender) and my friend. Suomalainen was really into heavy metal music, so for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to make the "heavy" sign with my hand. I love this photo because it is one of those perfect snap shots in which everyone's reaction is so authentic and real. I think we actually gave this photo to him - I wonder whether he still has it somewhere. 
For those who follow hockey, names like Reijo Ruotsalainen (two time Stanley Cup Winner), Lasse Kukkonen (world champion from 2011, three time olympic medalist) and Pekka Rinne (goaltender for Nashville Predators) might say something. Well, these guys, among many more talented hockey players, had their start in Kärpät. From these three, Pekka Rinne happens to be my favorite player of ALL TIME. I picked him as my favorite player pretty much the moment I started going to the games (which is kind of weird because he did not even play that often since he was the second goalie) and it has been amazing to follow his career and see how his status has risen. 


In this photo I'm with my favorite player of all time, Pekka Rinne. I remember really loving this photo because our outfits kind of match - he is wearing pink and grey, and so am I. The weirdest things used to make me happy. I was always so nervous around him and you can really see it from this photo as well. I haven't gotten any hotter in the last 9 years or so after the taking of this photo (I look completely hideous), but look what has happened to Pekka. 
I am SPEECHLESS.

Since following the games of Kärpät usually isn't enough hockey for me, I also follow NHL, my favorite teams being Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins. The reason I love Capitals is the fact that I used to live at D.C. area and I kind of feel like for a while, Capitals was my "home team". And yeah, Alex Ovechkin is pretty damn awesome! Pittsburgh I like because there are some pretty awesome players there (Jussi Jokinen started from Kärpät as well). Sidney Crosby is one of my biggest hockey crushes, firstly because he is an AWESOME player (seriously, I don't think there's anything hotter than a talented hockey player) and secondly because he is pretty hot. I guess I should just provide you with a picture so you can judge yourself. ;)

A part of me wants to yell at the computer to tell him to stop being so adorable while other part of me is just drooling to the keyboard.

I am also a big fan of the Finnish National Team and will pretty much watch every single national game there is. We did pretty good this year with an Olympic Bronze and a World Championship Silver. 



Oh wow, this ended up being a really long post. I hope some of you got this far and actually enjoyed this. As you can probably sense, I am addicted, and I'm happy about it!
In case you are a hockey fan, please leave me a comment and we can become best friend. Seriously, finding someone who loves both books AND hockey is so difficult. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog!! :) I'm not a hockey fan, though I've tried to watch it. I don't hate it like some sports (basketball, soccer) but I just can't find a love for it. I'd definitely be a Penguin fan if I was, since I lived 13 years in PA. I lived many more in FL but the Lightening suck!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really hate any sports, but there definitely are ones that I don't really enjoy watching. Hockey has been part of my life pretty much always, so I guess for me it was always either that I love it or I hate it. And fortunately I fell in love with it :)
      Oh, Penguins are great! I don't really have much to say about Lightning, but there are a couple of Finnish players there I cheer for :)

      Delete
  2. I am not a Hockey fan as it's not a sport that's really followed here in Australia but I always watch it when the Winter Olympics are on as it just so exciting to watch and so I can understand why you love it.
    Hope you have a great week and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete