Thursday, June 19, 2014

Book Review: The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass

Release Date: May 6, 2014
Info about the author: Goodreads - Twitter - Website
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age group: YA
Pages: 323
Buy the book: Amazon - Book Depository

Review for Book 1 - The Selection
Review for Book 2 - The Elite


Description (from Goodreads):


The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey... Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned.

MY THOUGHTS:


The One is the final book of The Selection trilogy by Kiera Cass. I feel like The Selection series has probably become the guilty pleasure YA series of many readers - it is filled with gossip, romance, twists and turns and pretty dresses. Many reviewers and readers have called the series the dystopian young adult version of the reality show The Bachelor, which definitely is a fit comparison. I kind of see elements of Gossip Girl in the book as well, maybe just because of the gossiping and the love triangle, which is extremely dominant especially in the first and second book of the trilogy.


I went to The One with curious, but also kind of scared thoughts. I had been somewhat disappointed with the second book, The Elite, just because I felt like at points the main character America was extremely indecisive and naive - she kept both of the guys, Aspen and Maxon, on the loop and did not manage to make a decision of who she actually loves. My main scare for the final book was that America would continue just juggling the two guys without making any type of decision, but I am happy to say that she actually does make a decision!


The final installment of Cass's trilogy is in no way flawless, but it is extremely satisfying. The characters get some type of conclusion, the love triangle is solved and America makes a decision regarding her future. The focus is still very much on the romance side of the story rather than the dystopian world and its problems, but I think it has been evident already from book one that Cass is more interested in discovering the intricacies of the love triangle rather than the problems of the society. 


Like the two previous books in the trilogy, The One managed to surprise me despite the fact that occasionally it is extremely cliche, especially in the exchanges between America and the other girls. It made me laugh, cry, occasionally frustrated (mostly over America) and most importantly, gush over Maxon. Maxon, in my opinion, is still perfect - THE LETTERS, THE LETTERS (if you have read this one, you know what I'm talking about). America is one of those characters I have a love/hate relationship, but towards the end I started to like her more because I feel like she made the right decision. 



The Selection trilogy is perfect for fans of romance, love triangles and cute stories. You don't have to be a fan of dystopian fiction to like these (if you only read dystopian, you might be a bit disappointed with these one to be honest, especially if you look for intricate world building etc in general). I feel like a 16 year old me would have liked these books even more, but 23 year old me is pretty content as well for reading this trilogy. 



2 comments:

  1. This was one of those endings that I didn't feel the need to complain about, you know? If I had wanted to, sure, I could have, but it was just so satisfying! :) Oh my gosh, I'm so with you on Maxon. I just love him and his letters. SWOON.

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - there were several little things about the ending that probably would have annoyed me in other circumstances, but with this series, I was just happy that we got the ending that we got! And MAXON, my oh my, so dreamy!

      Delete